The Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C has been a staple in my skincare routine for a decade. I personally use a Vitamin C serum and moisturizer daily. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin, and is needed by our bodies to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle and blood vessels. There are numerous benefits to the almighty powerful Vitamin C. Vitamin C:
• Increases the effectiveness of your sunscreen and boosts your skins defense against UV exposure
• Brightens and evens skin tone
• Reduces redness and inflammation
• Helps firm the skin as it boosts collagen production
• Reduces hyperpigmentation, sun damage and brown spots
Applying Vitamin C to the skin is 20 times more effective than oral ingestion. It has been proven that once a topical antioxidant is absorbed into the skin, it cannot be washed or rubbed off. So, even after stopping the application of Vitamin C significant amounts of Vitamin C will remain in the skin for up to 72 hours.
Vitamin C is not only necessary for collagen production and maintenance, but it is also a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals in the skin. Free radicals are atoms or molecules with an unpaired electron (my middle school biology teacher Mrs. Graham would be pleased to know that I was paying attention). Electrons are meant to be paired, and when one electron is left alone, it "searches" to find it's mate. In doing so free radicals attack and destroy nearby compounds. Free radicals can complete its paring by stealing an electron from say, the protein in a strand of collagen. This process of free radicals damaging and breaking protein or collagen strands causes "aging". The final result is the skin starts to sag and wrinkles form.
My favorite Vitamin C products:
• Image Skincare Vital C Cleanser (a creamy rich cleanser that happens to smell like an orange grove)
• SkinCeuticals C&E Ferulic (one of the most popular and effective Vitamin C serums on the market)
• Image Skincare Vital C Hydrating Anti-Aging Serum (I personally use this as a moisturizer over the C&E Ferulic)
• Image Skincare Vital C Hydrating Enzyme Mask (an exfoliating, hydrating and brightening treatment)